Sunday, April 14, 2013

So many choices....now down to two

The blog title speaks for itself. This is my first blog ever, on blogger that is, but blogging isn't any different from keeping a journal. Except with this funky concept that Google provides us we can now share our thoughts with whomever. However, this blog is not about the history or the root of blogging. My first blog is about my quest to buy a camera. I am by no means a photographer or even an aspiring photographer. I just like to take tons of photos but am looking for the best camera to do it with.

Now I have been looking at cameras for almost a year. This all started when I got married an saw how outstanding my photos came out. Granted, my wife and I (I love you sweetie! Yes I'm madly in love with my wife) hired a professional photographer to capture that wonderful day, I thought after seeing the photos and said "hey I can take photos like that!" So I sat out on my quest to find a camera that would give me the best pictures. Since my wife and I are travelers and outdoors people, I coupled are activities and used it as more of a reason to buy a camera.

So after countless searching I ended up narrowing my choices down to two brands. Before I go further, I just want to add how expensive this hobby is and this greatly influenced my decision. I didn't want just your simple "point and shoot" but I wanted interchangeable lenses and so forth. After seeing the cost of lenses I knew that I was ONLY buying one lens and that was all.  Another factor was the size. Since I did my homework, I knew that the censor size matters for the clarity in pictures. Also the better the picture the more space it uses on my PC. But again, I'm not looking to be a professional, I just want good photos.

The choices I narrowed it down to are a Sony NEX-6 or a Canon T3i. Both are priced relatively the same, however, the Sony camera is smaller. The choice is not an easy one as Canon is know for its cameras. And Sony is best known for PlayStation. This process has been going on for a year and with hopes I will purchase one. I first must overcome the fact that technology changes like the season and what may be dated to the times now, the same product will be outdated within 6 months. In the end I have no new camera yet, but a formidable replacement has been my iPad.

Who needs a camera when you have an iPad?

3 comments:

  1. Tim - very nice blog. If you allow me, i would like to give you my take on the camera topic. I have been an amateur photographer for a while now, having to take a break due to my busy schedule. I have a very good experience with Cannon Rebel - it is a very good starting equipment. Nevertheless, it is also chunky and heavy. Based on my own experience, it become a burden after only a short while - imagine walking around for a few hours with a case (because if you have a camera like that you have to get a case to protect your equipment)with just a couple of filters and maximum two lenses, add a few 'wee ones', a stroller and a couple of necessities ... you get the picture. It was too much for me with just the camera bag and some basic equipment. Unless you plan on taking it to the next level with developing the photos or getting into macro photography etc. (i still think that real photography can only be achieved in the 35mm format) i don't think the equipment really matters. It will become obsolete in a matter on months anyway. For what it's worth, I would go with the more compact option that will give you most flexibility. You can edit and do all sorts of cool stuff to your photos once you transfer them to your PC anyway. It is not about what you capture those special moments with, but what you capture and what those photos mean to you. I am sure they will be great no matter what equipment you buy! I will be interested to see what your decision will be. Either way, good luck with the hobby! If you ever want to try to play with something different I can lend you my Nikon DS - it's a quite powerful toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog Tim,

    My wife is very passionate about photography and she takes hundreds of photographs in a month ( if there is event that's it, at least couple of hundred on that day ).when she bought Nikkon D series camera i helped her research with couple of sites. they are pretty good to compare side by side.
    http://www.dpreview.com
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras
    www.engadget.com
    reviews.cnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So honey, first - thank you for the kind words (I LOVE YOU TOO) ;) ... second - you should update your blog (and documented journey to finding the perfect camera for us to purchase) to include the few new cameras you have added to the roster recently (taking your total of 2 back up to 4 or 5) and that, by the way, far exceed the budget we set for a camera, but have tons of awesome features and lenses!! Like you said, so many choices....

    ReplyDelete